World Health Day
Support April 18, 2023
"World Health Day" celebrated every year on the 7th of April is a global health awareness day initiated by the World Health Organisation (WHO). The WHO held the first health assembly in 1948 and marked this day as an opportunity to draw attention on the issue of global health. Thereafter, this day was celebrated by various government and non-governmental organizations with their interest in public health issues.
According to Corporate Wellness Magazine, every $1 invested in employee wellness programs yields roughly $4 in savings through reduced sick days, higher productivity and decreased overall health costs.
What is the importance of this day for our corporations ? Buddha calls keeping the body in good health, a duty ! As corporate organizations, we are aware that our employees are more than just workers. They spend more than half of their day relentlessly working on their computers, managing intense work pressures, deadlines and demands of the job. But is there something the corporates can do to encourage a healthier work environment ? Can we extend health and nutrition as a part of employee care? How about focussing on a more holistic wellness ? Below are few points, that we as corporates, can remind ourselves this World Health Day, to ensure our employees are healthy, nourished and happy:
1. It all starts from the top:- Company CEOs, founders, management boards, they need to be invested in the idea of employee wellness and health. Good corporate wellness programs must cater to the needs of employees and employers, thereby creating an atmosphere of company well-being.
2. Identify the needs of your workplace:- Not all corporations require the same level of training and guidance when it comes to corporate wellness. Conducting surveys, having open conversations and identifying the needs of your employees could be a good place to start a health program. What is it that your employees need - is it a 24 x 7 gymnasium, weekly yoga classes, art therapy programs or a book reading club ? Research, Talk and Design your plan.
3. Call the experts:- You won't self diagnose a patient who survived a heart attack ? You would call a doctor ! So why do we become so self assured and thereby callous, when it comes to corporate wellness ? Call the expert, reach out to people who are aware and in the market. There are plenty of resources and companies that are out there to help you get the best and forget the rest.
4. Focus on Fun! - Why must taking care of our employees' health be tedious and serious ? Good wellness programs would have fun at the core. How about Fitness Fridays ? What about Monday Motivators ? People's happiness at work is influenced by their ability to unwind, enjoy and have fun with peers and co-workers. Make sure whatever you do, it is fun, engaging and exciting.
5. Nutrition, Nutrition & Nutrition:- We are the food we eat ! As employers, it is a good idea to monitor the nutrition levels of our company. Monthly check-ins could be a way of doing that, fruit breaks during the day could be other. How about stacking our office spaces with healthier snacks and herbal teas ? Without being too invasive, it is always a good idea to provide employees with healthy, easy and nutritious food choices, remembering that corporate wellness is a practice of nourishment & care !
While most health coaches would remind you of this time and again, that there ain't no one-size-fits-all policy when it comes to employee wellness, a good wellness program that includes the right minds in the business and small incentives and activities for our employees could go a long way ! Always remember a healthy employee is a happy employee !