What is in for an employee in a Wellness Program
Support March 22, 2022
Employee wellness programs must top the priority lists of leaders globally as it brings a host of benefits to the organization at large from increased productivity and retention to higher levels of employee engagement. What first started out as fitness-focused employee perks for large organizations has turned into a prominent workplace trend that prioritizes employee health and wellness. Wellness programs are an important aspect for an employee as it is holistic in nature and aims at supporting employees to adopt and sustain behaviours that improve their quality of life, reduce health risks, and enhance personal effectiveness while also increasing employee engagement and investments to benefit the organization. According to Leftronic magazine, employees' overall health improved 56% had fewer sick days. Also 54% of workers stated that wellness programs boosted their morale. While one may think that these programs cater only towards helping the employees the truth is that employee wellness programs can be beneficial for both - the employees and the employers / organization. Here are some of the key benefits of having adept employee wellness programs in place:
1. Employees feel like ‘showing up’- By taking part in wellness activities that focus on adopting good healthy behaviours like regular exercise or stress management employees can increase performance and productivity leading them to being more motivated and focused to accomplish tasks.
2. Enhanced Social Connections- Work relationships are essential to employee wellbeing but the reality is that work can be very lonely for many employees. Full-time employees spend a great deal of their time at work. Work relationships can have a positive or negative effect on productivity, stress levels, and overall happiness. Employee wellness programs can support social connections in the workplace and encourage employees to form connections with co-workers.
3. Feel Belongingness & Connection- Employee morale is high when employees are able to be innovative, resolve issues, feel safe and supported, develop self-esteem and accomplish goals and aspirations. By participating in wellness programs together particularly team-based activities employees can strengthen their relationships with one another, encourage each other and hold one another accountable for their goals.
4. Reduces Health Care Expenses Of Employers - Workplace wellness programs lower healthcare expenses. Employees will not have to go to the doctor, pay their bills or buy medicines if they are healthy. They can take care of their physical and mental well being by the perks provided through wellness programs.
5. Inculcate strong values - Wellness programs can help to foster a sense of workplace community and company culture. Employees who work together to improve their health are more likely to maintain healthy habits in the long run - for instance strong core values like trust, commitment and loyalty with regards to self and the company.
Workplace wellness programs can give employees the tools and resources they need to thrive. both at work and in their personal lives. These programs can connect your workers with fitness, mindfulness, and leisure activities that they genuinely enjoy. Businesses that offer comprehensive wellness programs will benefit through improved employee satisfaction and retention, and the ability to attract new talent consistently. As Jonathan Lockwood Huie, a multidisciplinary says - "A time for everything: A time to relax and a time to be busy, a time to frolic and a time to labour, a time to receive and a time to give, a time to begin and a time to finish."