Support August 29, 2022
“Spiritual practice is possible for all of us. You cannot say, ‘I’m just too busy, I have no time for meditation.’ No. Walking from one building to another, walking from the parking lot to your office, you can always enjoy walking mindfully and enjoy every one of your steps.” - Thich-Nhat-Hahn
Employee spiritual wellness is how an individual feels about their ability to express their beliefs, values, and purpose. Employees should feel that their job provides opportunities for them to practice their spirituality, rather than get in the way of it or challenge it. In short, spirituality in the workplace is as simple as having a sense of connection between our own ‘self’ and the workplace. It is about finding meaning, value and motivation in one’s work beyond just the salary and performance. Spirituality in the workplace could be about people finding a sense of oneness and togetherness in an organisation as a whole. More and more people today are finding inspiration and fulfilment in their jobs by bringing their spirituality into the workplace. Working in an environment that supports the employees’ right to openly express their beliefs helps them achieve better working relationships, feel safer and become more engaged in their work — and that’s not all. It can improve overall wellbeing, increase employee productivity, reduce absenteeism and increase job satisfaction. Employees often come across instances where they have to make quick decisions, spiritual wellness can help make our decisions and choices easier, ground us during periods of change and give us the resilience to cope well in times of adversity !
One of the most common & neglected problems in a modern workplace is the lack of energy & motivation at work. The spirit is often lagging in initiating ideas, engaging with their colleagues and staying dedicated. Employees can't fully engage themselves at work because they seem to be demotivated and disinterested. To overcome this, promoting a sustainable and spiritual work culture has become crucial. A spiritually uplifted individual remains focused at work and is also rejuvenated. Spiritual wellness reduces stress, anxiety and depression. It gives one the right amount of motivation to work and job fulfilment. It is noted that spiritually healthy employees lead a healthier life and more productive life. Below mentioned are a few ways to revive spiritual wellness amongst employees for overall well-being:-
• Meditation or Mindfulness Walks - Regular meditation is the foundation for mind-body wellness and a consciousness-based approach to life. Daily practice can improve quality of sleep & relationship skills, enhance concentration, reduce stress and provide a deeper connection to spirit. Taking a walk outdoors can break you out of a mental fog or a perpetual train of thought. Walking mindfully establishes a deeper connection between mind and body, helping you to embrace your body as it moves through space.
• Journaling - Writing in a journal can be a great way to get in touch with yourself more deeply. Explore your values, plan your week around what matters to you, or simply write out how you’re feeling. Journaling can be a great way to relieve stress at work, boost your office mood, improve your overall emotional wellness and more ! Writing down your feelings can give you a sense of control over your thoughts and emotions.
• Physical activities or Exercise - Though we usually associate exercise with running laps and lifting weights at a gym, you can boost your physical activity levels in many ways: Gardening, walking through your neighbourhood and taking the stairs instead of the elevator are all good ways to stay active. When choosing an exercise program, make sure you find something you enjoy.
• Conscious relaxation or Mindfulness breaks - The constant pressure to meet deadlines and be on top of our game can cause prolonged anxiety and stress. Consciously relaxing your body can be a powerful spiritual activity that promotes deep healing and rejuvenation. This simply involves bringing your attention to your body, feeling your body consciously and relaxing body parts that are tense by letting go. Taking these small steps throughout a work day can help employees become more conscious of their work and frequently declutter their minds for new ideas to originate.
• Leisure reading - Logging out from the virtual world and work mails, reading a book that you enjoy can help in rejuvenating and decluttering your mind. Reading can bring new perspectives and provide the mental space to occupy yourself with something more interesting. Some examples of books that can help in holistic spiritual growth are:- Ikigai (The Japanese secret to a long and happy life), Atomic Habits, Rich Dad Poor Dad and Reasons to stay alive.
Everyone’s path to spiritual wellness may be different, it’s important for everyone to explore what they believe and their own sense of meaning and purpose. Workplace spirituality intends to develop trust among employees in a way that would lead the organisation into a better and productive environment.
Few spiritual wellness programs and workshops organised by Wellness Associates are:
• Mindfulness & Meditation
• Mindful Journaling
• Mind & Emotions
• Beautiful You, Inside Out.
An employee would always feel more connected to their organisation when they are taken care of beyond a 9 to 5 job. The benefits of workplace spirituality extend beyond the individual well-being of the employees. Ultimately, spiritual workplaces provide better conditions for the whole organisation to grow and thrive.